Faith is Found – Part 3
Pastor Stephen Hayes
Sunday Oct 21, 2018
Main Idea– As He traveled across Israel - teaching and proclaiming the Kingdom of God - Jesus healed and helped people in difficult situations. Then, He sent out His followers to do the same thing. Sadie Keller is an example of someone who wanted to help others, and then followed-through by taking action. We have freely received, so we freely give.
Our faith is demonstrated when we help and encourage others
- Faith is active. People who have it look for opportunities to help others.
- Sadie Keller had childhood cancer. She understood what was happening, and then wanted to help other kids who were dealing with the same situation.
- She, herself, felt better when she made other children happy.
- But, she didn’t wait until she was healed to do something. She formed her foundation (Sadie Keller Foundation: sadiekellerfoundation.org) when she was in the middle of her own fight with the disease.
- She also inspired the passage of the STAR Act for Childhood Cancer – Survivorship, Treatment, Access, Research – which funds money for the fight against childhood cancer.
Jesus sent out His followers
- During His ministry, Jesus sent out his followers in pairs to do the same things He was doing.
- He empowered them supernaturally to do this.
- He sent them into towns He was soon going to go to Himself.
- Matthew 10: 5-13 – These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: “Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food. Now whatever city or town you enter, inquire who in it is worthy, and stay there till you go out. And when you go into a household, greet it. If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon it. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you. And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet. Assuredly, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah in the day of judgment than for that city!” (NKJV)
- Luke 10: 1-12 – After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go. Then He said to them, “The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few; therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. Go your way; behold, I send you out as lambs among wolves. Carry neither money bag, knapsack, nor sandals; and greet no one along the road. But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ And if a son of peace is there, your peace will rest on it; if not, it will return to you. And remain in the same house, eating and drinking such things as they give, for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not go from house to house. Whatever city you enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you. And heal the sick there, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’ But whatever city you enter, and they do not receive you, go out into its streets and say, ‘The very dust of your city which clings to us we wipe off against you. Nevertheless know this, that the kingdom of God has come near you.’ But I say to you that it will be more tolerable in that Day for Sodom than for that city. (NKJV)
The harvest is great but the laborers are few
- Jesus continues to send out His followers today.There are many opportunities for each of us to help others who are in difficult situations.
- Because Jesus is not physically here right now, we are His hands and feet that bring the Holy Spirit’s blessings to people.
- Like Sadie Keller, you will receive happiness when you help others.
- Don’t let fear, or a previous bad experience, prevent you from receiving the blessings that come with “going ahead” of Jesus. The Holy Spirit accompanies you.
- When you are welcomed by those whom you meet, freely give.
- When you are rejected, keep your peace and move on to the next opportunity.
- For the latest opportunities to serve, go to covenantchurch.org. Click on “Ministries” and then “Serve Your City.”
Reflective Questions for Faith is Found – Part 3
- What is it about Sadie Keller’s story that is most amazing, or inspiring, to you?
- Why, do you suppose, Jesus sent out his followers in pairs?How do you think they felt when He first gave them this assignment?
- Why, do you suppose, He told them to go out without money or extra clothing? How might that apply to us today?
- Have you ever experienced something where your greatest fear became the source of your greatest happiness?
- Is there a spiritual reason the ministry of helping others is oftentimes difficult for us to commit to?