Influencing Leadership – Are you willing to lead?
Pastor Mike Hayes
November 5, 2017
Main Idea – God is calling us to lead. From the time we were born, God placed in us ideas, callings and destiny. The body of Christ is the greatest pool for leadership in the world.
God is Calling You to Lead:
- Judges 9:8-15 – “The trees once went forth to anoint a king over them. And they said to the olive tree, ‘Reign over us!’ But the olive tree said to them, ‘Should I cease giving my oil, With which they honor God and men, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then the trees said to the fig tree, ‘You come and reign over us!’ But the fig tree said to them, ‘Should I cease my sweetness and my good fruit, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then the trees said to the vine, ‘You come and reign over us!’ But the vine said to them, ‘Should I cease my new wine, Which cheers both God and men, And go to sway over trees?’ “Then all the trees said to the bramble, ‘You come and reign over us!’ And the bramble said to the trees, ‘If in truth you anoint me as king over you, Then come and take shelter in my shade; But if not, let fire come out of the bramble. And devour the cedars of Lebanon!’
- This is an allegorical story about the willingness to lead.
- Thorn trees (bramble) have no fruit or shade. They are always willing to lead. But, they offer only two things:
- A false promise of shade; they do not have leaves but thorns. Their offer of shade is deceptive because when the thorns drop to the ground to see their shade means having to step on thorns to sit under them. There is no shade under a thorn tree.
- If not chosen to lead, they offer a destructive response.
- Oftentimes, gifted people are too busy, too selfish, too insecure, or too focused on the wrong things to lead.
- The body of Christ has the greatest pool for leadership.
Appealing to Leaders:
- There is a leadership call because in present day, there is a vacuum of leadership.
- Romans 8:19-For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.
- We should see in the recent hurricanes, tornadoes and fires that have hit our country that earth is groaning, waiting for the sons of God to lead.
- We currently have thorn tree leadership which lacks leadership and wise counsel. Remember that Joshua 1:3 says: “Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given you, as I said to Moses.”
- God wants fruitful people to lead. God promises authority and favor to those willing to lead.
- God wants influence at the highest levels but, we need a seat at the table to have influence (e.g., Joseph and Moses).
Great Leaders and What They Do:
- Psalm 2:8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance,
And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
- Great leaders ask for great things. (Oral Roberts once said, “Make no small plans here.”)
- Great leaders tell their story to have influence, and we must do the same.
- “This concept has been lacking in our typical approach to missions. Sometimes proximity is everything. Just being there. Showing up. Hanging around. God said it this way to Abram, “Everything the sole of your foot walks I’ll give it you”. We must make an impression. Impact on the culture happens by leadership. (from Pastor Mike’s book “Infleunce, Becoming the Leader That Changes the World” , page 14.)
- When you follow the destiny call on your life, God will cause things to happen miraculously in your life.
Twelve Important Things to Apply in Your Life to be a Leader:
- Be a servant leader.
- Carry yourself like a winner because you have value. You are not part of the problem, but part of the solution.
- Pray bigger prayers.
- Connect with those that God is using.
- Choose to support causes God is blessing.
- Be a giver. Generosity is necessary for a leader.
- Read like crazy. When you seek to be smart, God will help you be the smartest person in the room.
- Walk in genuine humility.
- Remember old friends while making new ones.
- Re-invent yourself.
- Stay free of bitterness and unforgiveness.
- Dream big and tell people about it. When you feel something prophetic, do what God tells you to do and He will help you build something great.
Things to Understand:
- The world is crying out for leaders.
- People gather if someone will show leadership.
- Our world is headed for crisis, but there are many opportunities for Kingdom leadership.
- You are a carrier of the Spirit of the Most High God.
- You can look in the eyes of people and tell them there is something special on their lives.
- You are anointed with the Spirit, authority and calling to lead.
Reflective Questions for Influencing Leadership
- What are you doing with the gifts and calling God placed in you to lead?
- Are you convinced that you are uniquely called by God to lead? How do you demonstrate this?
- Which one of the twelve things about leadership do you need to address in your life? Why?
- Do you believe the earth is crying out for leadership? Have you stepped up to lead? If not, what is holding you back?