Sunday April 29, 2018
Main Idea – The country of Israel has been at the center of spiritual and historical events from the time of Abraham. The city of Jerusalem was founded by God. The Bible is full of prophecies that speak about these things. Christians should know this history, support Israel, and pray for the peace of Israel.
- The nation of Israel has been reborn just as Christians have been reborn.
- This year – 2018 – marks the 70th Anniversary of the rebirth of Israel. The modern state of Israel was established on May 14, 1948, after thousands of years of Biblical prophecy.
- It was a promise of God that was fulfilled.
- Isaiah 66: 8-10 – “Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Shall the earth be made to give birth in one day? Or shall a nation be born at once? For as soon as Zion was in labor, she gave birth to her children. Shall I bring to the time of birth, and not cause delivery?” says the Lord. “Shall I who cause delivery shut up the womb?” says your God. “Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad with her, all you who love her; rejoice for joy with her, all you who mourn for her”
- Heaven and earth met in Jerusalem, and will meet there again at Jesus’ return.
God keeps His promises
- The Bible is filled with thousands of promises from God. One-third of the Bible is prophecy (God’s promises).
- Jerusalem is at the center of historical and spiritual conflicts.
- Just a few of the Scripture verses that describe the establishment of God’s covenant with Israel include:
- Genesis 12:2-3 – I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
- Genesis chapters 13-17 describe the events of the establishment of God’s everlasting covenant with Israel.
- Amos 9: 11-15 describes the rebirth of Israel.
- Deuteronomy 30: 1-10 describes the rebirth of Israel.
- Ezekiel 37: 2-11 prophetically proclaims the rebirth of Israel.
- Israel continues to be a land of amazing miracles.
Jerusalem was founded by God
- Genesis 12 tells how God appeared to Abraham on Mount Moriah (the site of today’s Temple Mount.)
- Many other significant Biblical events have happened at this place.
Satan despises Israel
- Isaiah 14: 12-15 tells how Satan fell from Heaven because he exalted himself. “How you are fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How you are cut down to the ground, you who weakened the nations! For you have said in your heart: ‘I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God; I will also sit on the mount of the congregation on the farthest sides of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High.’ Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol, to the lowest depths of the Pit.”
- Satan has worked to control Jerusalem for himself. 2 Thessalonians 2: 3-4 – Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshipped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
- That is what Satan does: he lies about events, he lies about you, and he attempts to distort what God has declared.
- Psalm 122: 6-7 – Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you. Peace be within your walls, prosperity within your palaces.
Israel and Jesus’ return
- Matthew 24: 2-7 describes the international conflicts that will surround Israel at the end of time.
- Ezekiel 38: 2-5 lists the countries that will be involved in the final conflict involving Israel.
- In Daniel 9: 24-25 God spoke to the prophet Daniel about the relationship of Jerusalem to the second coming of the Messiah. This Word reinforced the prophecy previously given to the prophet Jeremiah in Jeremiah 29: 9-10.
- In Matthew 24: 32-35 Jesus says that the generation that sees the rebirth of Israel will live to see His return.
Church is the place where God ignites
- God works through His church.
- God speaks to us every day, just as surely as He spoke His Word in the Bible. It is our responsibility to act on what He says to us.
- One promise from God can change your life.
- You are not defined by what others say about you. You are defined by what God says about you.
- Things you can do right now:
- Receive Jesus as your savior.
- If the devil is attacking you, stop those attacks. Get in covenant with God and with His people.
Reflective Questions for Israel Reborn
- Dr. Evans presented numerous Bible verses that speak about Jerusalem and Jesus’ return. How do these verses correspond to what you see in the news about current events in the Middle East?
- How should Christians use the Bible to understand current news events about Israel?
- Evans said the recent decision to move the United States’ embassy in Israel to Jerusalem was very significant. Considering what the Bible says about Jerusalem, do you agree or disagree?
- As we get closer to the time of Jesus’ return, why is it more important than ever for Christians to be members of a local church congregation?