Pastor Gordon Banks
Sunday Nov 4, 2018
Main Idea– God has a plan for each of His children. He is not limited by your environment, nor even your own expectations and perceptions. God can do anything, at anytime, anywhere, for anybody.
God cannot be limited
- God cannot be limited. Likewise, God’s children are not limited by things that will stop other people. The things we see around us do not stop God.
- God gave His children dominion over everything on the planet. Genesis 1:28 – “Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
- When you accept that dominion - and use it in unity with what Jesus and the Father will – what you desire will take place.
- The Holy Spirit will show you God’s will, so that you can be in unity with it.
- John 14: 6-17 – Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves. Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever– the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
- When we understand that the purpose of our life is to direct others’ attention to God, we will be less likely to limited by our expectations.
- Do not let the limits of your own understanding prevent you from having the fullness of what God has pre-ordained for your life. John 3: 34-35 – For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure. The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
From before Creation, God had a plan for you
- Jeremiah 1:5 – “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”
- Romans 8:28-29 – And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
- Use the Holy Spirit to help you know the unique plan and purpose God has for your life.Believe that thing, and move to it, as God opens doors for you.
- Build a reliance on the Holy Spirit to guide you through every circumstance of every day of your life.
- God is aware of everything going on around you; and will step in, open doors, and set things in motion so you will continually operate in your purpose.
- Your own perceived shortcomings and fears are not a hindrance to God. His desire is to bless others through you.
- There is a 100% chance God will do something great through you.
Things that will limit God’s work through you
- Limits you place on yourself by your own methods.
- 2 Kings 13: 14-19 – Elisha had become sick with the illness of which he would die. Then Joash the king of Israel came down to him, and wept over his face, and said, “O my father, my father, the chariots of Israel and their horsemen!” And Elisha said to him, “Take a bow and some arrows.” So he took himself a bow and some arrows. Then he said to the king of Israel, “Put your hand on the bow.” So he put his hand on it, and Elisha put his hands on the king’s hands. And he said, “Open the east window”; and he opened it. Then Elisha said, “Shoot”; and he shot. And he said, “The arrow of the Lord’s deliverance and the arrow of deliverance from Syria; for you must strike the Syrians at Aphek till you have destroyed them.” Then he said, “Take the arrows”; so he took them. And he said to the king of Israel, “Strike the ground”; so he struck three times and stopped. And the man of God was angry with him, and said, “You should have struck five or six times; then you would have struck Syria till you had destroyed it! But now you will strike Syria only three times.”
- The king’s own limited expectations compromised his ultimate effectiveness.
- There are enemies that need to be destroyed – to be taken out of the picture – so that God can move uninhibited.
- Shift your thinking, and expectations, so your thoughts are not limited.
- Stay in pursuit of God’s plan for your life. Don’t stop and give up.
- If you have made previous bad choices in your life, confess those things and ask for forgiveness. God will cleanse you, so you can move forward, on to what He had originally purposed for you.
- 1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- The love of money
- 1 Timothy 6:10 – For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
Seek wisdom as you follow the Holy Spirit
- Proverbs 3: 13-18 – Happy is the man who finds wisdom, and the man who gains understanding; for her proceeds are better than the profits of silver, and her gain then fine gold. She is more precious than rubies, and all the things you may desire cannot compare with her. Length of days is in her right hand, in her left hand riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, and happy are all who retain her.
- Seek the Holy Spirit’s guidance continually.Study God’s Word regularly. God will lead you step-by-step in His purpose for your life.
Reflective Questions for No Limits
- Pastor Gordon taught that we should not allow what we see around us to limit our expectations of what God has predestined to accomplish through us. How might one learn what God’s purpose is for him or her?
- If God has given you a sense of something He wants to do through you, what should be your prayer back to Him?
- Why is it necessary to develop the habit of consulting the Holy Spirit as you walk through the daily events of your life?
- How is knowing that God usually does things in order - through a process – a comfort to you as you accomplish His purpose for your life?