Shine: Being a Light in the Darkness – Part 2
Pastor James deMelo
Sunday Aug 12, 2018
Main Idea– God wants you to be a light (an inspiration and a reflection of Jesus) to those who are experiencing darkness (bad times). God will show His light through you when you read the Bible, practice humility, are honest, and seek the Holy Spirit.
Hope in the darkness
- God will bring healing and restoration to others through you.
- Even if times are tough for you, you can be a light to others because you know that God’s light comes to those who accept Jesus as savior.
- Matthew 5:16 – “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
- God’s light always overcomes darkness.
- John 1: 4-5 – In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
- This light is available to every human being.
- 1 John 1:5 – This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.
Ways to ensure God’s light will shine through you
- Walk in the light of His Word.Read the Bible so you can have a good grasp of how God reveals Himself and what He says about Himself.
- Psalm 119: 105 – Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
- Psalm 119: 130 – Break open your words, let the light shine out, let ordinary people see the meaning. (Message version)
- God’s light is love. Knowing God’s Word enables us to express His love in different ways, depending on what is needed in a given situation. Romans 13: 10-11 – Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now our salvation is nearer than when we first believed. 1 John 2: 8-11 – Again, a new commandment I write to you, which thing is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining. He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
- Walk in the light of humility.Humility is the greatest weapon against pride.
- James 4:6 – It’s common knowledge that “God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble.” (Message version)
- You can either embrace humility by choice or you will embrace humiliation by force. Pride eventually brings humiliation. Proverbs 29:23 – A man’s pride will bring him low, but the humble in spirit will retain honor. Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
- Walk in the light of honesty.
- Psalms 32:2 – Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
- Satan operates in the realm of hidden secrets. Demons live in darkness. Each of us should have someone to whom we are accountable and to whom we confess our sins. James 5:16 – Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. 2 Peter 2:4 – For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them to chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;
- Guilt disappears by confession. We are only as sick as our secret sins and only as strong as our transparency. Psalm 32: 3 – When I kept silent, my bones grew old through my groaning all the day long.
- There is a difference between being forgiven of sins and being healed from the effects of sins. We must first be set free, and then we must become free.
- Walk in the light of the Holy Spirit.We are not able to walk in the Light without the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit illuminates Christ in us.
- We must daily ask the Holy Spirit to illuminate what is in our hearts and enable us to walk in God’s Light.
Reflective Questions for Shine: Being a Light in the Darkness, Part 2
- Pastor James said it is possible for God’s Light to shine through us even if we ourselves are in a tough place in life. Can you give an example of someone you knew who reflected Jesus even though life was hard for him or her?
- Pastor James gave four things one should do in order for God’s light to shine through. Which of the four do you, personally, believe you are pretty good at? Which of the four could you improve on so God’s light could shine even more through you?