Summer Reading Series – Part 4
Another Shot – Five Reasons You Need a Game Plan For Your Life
Sunday July 15, 2018
Main Idea– Planning is essential to happiness and success in life. The rest of this year can be the best part of this year if you plan for it to be that way. The first step in developing a good plan is to put God first in your life.
Life goes better when you put God first
- No human being could have written the high standard that is contained in the Bible. Scripture was written by God.
- Therefore, if God said it we can believe it.
- The rest of your life will be the best part of your life if you put God first in your life. John 10: 10 – The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to be full, till it overflows). (Amplified)
- Plant yourself in a church so that God will prosper you. Psalm 92:13 – Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God. (NKJV)
- The reason God will bless you when you are involved with your church is so that you can bless others. Genesis 12: 2 – I will make you a great nation; I will bless you and make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. (NKJV)
The rest of this year will be the best part of this year
- In order for the rest of this year to be better than the first part of this year you have to define what you mean by “better.”
- Describe and define where you want to go for the remainder of the year. Habakkuk 2:2 – Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it.” (NKJV)
Proverbs 29:18 – Where there is no vision (no revelation of God and His word), the people are unrestrained; but happy and blessed is he who keeps the law (of God.) (Amplified)
- Success requires planning. “Planning is bringing the future into the present so you can do something about it now.” Alan Lakein
- A goal without a plan is just a wish.
- Planning will help you control your future. “Let our advance worrying become advance thinking and planning.” Winston Churchill
- Jesus told us not to worry about things. If you have a plan, it is less likely you will worry. Matthew 6:34 – Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Plan and pray
- Planning does not replace praying.
- Praying does not replace planning.
- Both are essential. James 2:17 – Thus faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. (NKJV)
- All planning should begin with prayer.
Five reasons you need a game plan for your life
- Planning is Scriptural.Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (NKJV)
- The Bible is full of plans.If God makes plans, we should do so as well.
- Planning will put you in a better position.
- Plan for success and that is where you will end up.
- Make a plan, get started, do something.Not everything in your plan has to be perfect in order to begin.
- The difference-maker in your plan is that God has a plan for you. 1Samuel 16:7b - For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.
- Planning is essential.
- Planning enables you to act instead of react.
- You will make better decisions when you have a plan.
- You dramatically increase the chance of something happening when you plan for it.
- Planning brings progress.
- Planning brings rewards.Effective preparation results in effective progress.
- Planning helps eliminate stress.
- Planning clarifies your decision-making. When you know where you are going, decisions are easier to make.
God is for you. He wants you to be successful
- From the beginning, God planned the future.He gave His Son so that you can have a future with Him.
- Put God first in your life, and let Him guide your plan. Proverbs 1:5 – let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance. (NIV)
Life goes better when you put God first
- Proverbs 16:3 – Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. (NIV)
- Putting God first in your life is the best decision you can make as the first step of your plan.
Reflective Questions for Five Reasons You Need a Game Plan for Your Life
- Dave Martin began his message by emphasizing the importance of being planted in a church in order for God to bless your plans. What does it mean to be “planted in a church”? Why is this usually a prerequisite to receive God’s blessing for your plans?
- As you make and carry out your plans, when – and how often – will you incorporate prayer in the process?
Select one of Dave Martin’s Five Reasons and give an example of how it has proven true in your life’s experiences.