The Deep – Exploring God’s Word
Pastor Stephen Hayes
October 1, 2017
Main Idea – From before time began, God has held spiritual mysteries for you to search out, discover, and understand. These spiritual pieces of wisdom are different from the earthly wisdom we discover in the physical world. Spiritual wisdom is discerned only by spiritually discerning things contained in His Word.
Spiritual wisdom is different and distinct from earthly wisdom
- There is much earthly wisdom that is good to learn. It helps us navigate life on Earth.
- Spiritual wisdom is different from earthly, practical wisdom because it comes by revelation from God.
- Believers should want to have access to all the information God has reserved for them.
- 1 Corinthians 2: 6-12 – However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
Spiritual wisdom is for mature believers
- In order to receive spiritual wisdom, one must to be mature (v.6)
- At different points in our lives we may not always be ready to receive a piece of spiritual wisdom. At other times, we are open and ready to hear spiritual truths.
- It is important to diligently go to church services, and to regularly study the Bible, so that we are in environments that prepare us to be spiritually mature to receive spiritual wisdom.
- We have to seek spiritual wisdom. It does not randomly come to us.
- From before time began, God reserved something deep in His Word and Spirit for each of us to know and realize. These are particular spiritual truths for us to discover.
Humans are physical and spiritual beings
- Genesis 1:11 tells how the plants and fruit had seeds so they could physically reproduce. This ability to physically reproduce was given to all living things.
- Genesis 2:7 describes how God breathed His Spirit into humans. Thereby, humans were distinct from other living things because they were also spiritual beings.
- Humans are the connecting point between Heaven and Earth.
- In the physical, earthly realm a person can only move forward in time – being limited by the laws of this world.
- However, in the spiritual realm we are able to move into all different places and dimensions.
We receive spiritual wisdom according to our capacity to receive it
- God called Moses to the top of the mountain so Moses and God could be alone. Moses would not have been able to receive what God had for him if he had been distracted by all the affairs at the bottom of the mountain. Genesis 24: 1-2 – Now He said to Moses, “Come up to the Lord, you and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and worship from afar. And Moses alone shall come near the Lord, but they shall not come near; nor shall the people go up with him.”
- Our capacity to receive is according to the size of the spiritual wisdom God has always intended to give us.
- The potential depth of the spiritual wisdom we can receive is infinite because of the size of Jesus’ gifts.
- Ephesians 4:7 – But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift.
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 – But as it is written: “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”
We must seek spiritual wisdom
- As we grow spiritually, it is a result of having gone deeper into God’s Word: having been diligent to study and learn the mysteries of spiritual wisdom. “The height you fly is evidence of how deep you have dived.”
- There are no short cuts to going deeper.
- Each of us must be accountable to learn and grow in a correct manner.
- When we learn new spiritual truths we must be responsible with them; using and sharing them according to the ability of others to receive the truths.
Spiritual wisdom is timeless
- The Bible is thousands of years old, yet it continues to be meaningful in every age.
- The purpose of the mysteries of spiritual wisdom is for us to be able to serve the needs of those who are present with us in the current, physical world.
- There is nothing more exciting than discovering what, for us, is a new spiritual mystery contained in God’s Word that we can use to bless someone else.
Reflective Questions for The Deep – Exploring God’s Word
- The Bible tells us that in order to receive spiritual wisdom one must be mature, spend time alone with God, and study His Word. Is there a relationship between doing those things and one’s capacity to receive spiritual truths?
- Recite one or two pieces of earthly wisdom that come to your mind.
- If you have been studying the Bible recently, can you recall a piece of spiritual wisdom you discovered?
- Can you describe the difference between earthly and spiritual wisdom? In other words, what is the difference in how you feel when you discover something of each kind?
- Why is it usually necessary for one to be mature before one can bless others with spiritual wisdom?