Vision – Make a Difference
Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018
Main Idea– We all were created in God’s image. The desire to make a difference is naturally within each of us. To make a difference we have to intentionally make certain decisions, and take certain steps, on a daily basis.
We were created in God’s image
- Genesis 1:27 – So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
- Because God created each of us in His image, it is natural for us also to want to make a difference. Each of us wants our time on earth to mean something.
- Our dreams and hopes can become reality. We can each write our own story where we add value to others’ lives, and thereby make a difference.
The four parts of life’s journey
- I want to make a difference
- High morale happens when we make a difference.
- We make a difference when we add value to someone’s day. “Encouragement is the oxygen of the soul.”
- I want to make a difference doing something that makes a difference
- We will make a difference when we do something we are passionate about andthat we are good at. Both must be present. Passion is the energy that fuels your gifts.
- When we do something for someone who is not valued by other people, we are doing something that matters to Jesus.
- When we do something for someone who is not valued by other people, we are doing something for Jesus Himself.
- Matthew 25: 34-40 – Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave Me food, I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’ Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ (NKJV)
- I want to make a difference doing something that makes a difference with people who want to make a difference
- Together we can do great things we cannot do individually.
- Start small and get big.
- Small groups make a difference.
- Small groups will enable you to identify your own gifts and purpose.
- I want to make a difference doing something that makes a difference with people who want to make a difference at a time when it makes a difference.
- The time is now.
- "Make every day your masterpiece.” – John Wooden
- The secret to success is determined by what you do on a daily basis.
- Joshua 24:15 – And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this daywhom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. (NKJV)
- Esther 4:14 – For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this? (NKJV)
- Psalm 118: 24 – This is the daythe Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. (NKJV)
- Matthew 6:34 – Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now,and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. (Message)
- I value people.We are all God’s creation. Connect with people and value each person.
- I think of ways to add value to people. Consider, ahead of time, ways you might add value to people.
- I look for ways to add value to people. Each day will present unique opportunities to add value to people. Be alert for those opportunities.
- I do things that add value to people.Good intentions are worthless unless they become good actions.
- I encourage othersto add value to people. Encouragement will change your life, as well as the lives of those you encourage.
It starts with Jesus
- If you want to make a difference, begin by accepting Jesus as your savior.
- Jesus will come into your life.
- Each day, the Holy Spirit will guide you as you live a life that makes a difference.
Reflective Questions for Vision – Make a Difference
- John Maxwell said you will make a difference when you do something about which you have passion and that you are good at. Why should both of those qualities be present? What might happen if only one or the other is present?
- Based on what John Maxwell said - and what the Bible says –what are the differences between what the world values and what Jesus values? How will knowing the difference keep you on track for a meaningful life?
- Why is it difficult for some people to commit to the things Jesus said are important to Him in Matthew 25:34-40?
- What happens when we anticipate, and are alert for, ways to add value to others’ lives on a daily basis?